Friday, January 15, 2010

Welcome to my randomness....

This blog is perfectly titled. I am not mother of the year, however, everyday I have what I call a mother of the year moment. What is a mother of the year moment you ask? It's basically anything that could possibly go wrong and you were right there to witness it but really didn't do anything to prevent it and or you have somehow cloned my children and crazy shit happens at your house all day long. Either way, it makes for an interesting life!

There you have it, my definition of a mother the year moment. I hope to enlighten all you mommies out there who think you have a demon child, just kidding or a boy, still kidding, just kids in general and need and some comic relief. I can help with that, I hope, or have DCFS called on me, either way, here's to many more interesting reads.

Now onto today.  It was a pretty slow morning around here, we did the usual. My son threw a fit, my daughter basically talked to me as if I were her servant and my husband basically walked around like he just had a frontal lobotomy. Okay, its not that bad, but it was definitely one of those mornings, where I wished I had a drink in my hand...at 7:45am!! I decided to take my son to our local open gym this morning, where he proceeded to jump off a stack of mats and land on another toddler. It was purely an accident, "J" wasn't looking at his surroundings. He didn't land on the other boy, but basically clothes lined the kid with his foot. The other boys mother, however, jumped up immediately reacting as if my son had just chased after her with a knife and shouted things at her, as if he were Chucky. 

This is something I find a tad ridiculous! If your kid isn't crying or bleeding, ignore it happened and let them move on. Every time you react, you are one step closer to raising a wimp. Yes, you heard me, A WIMP!! My son, who does have melt downs and throws fits, isn't a wimp by any means, okay, so if his sister hits him, he reacts as if he's broken something, but come on! Who didn't over react when a sibling hurt you? It meant they got in trouble and you got a snack. That's still not a wimp, that's smart thinking. However, when your 30 and you hit your sibling, and they hit you back, people don't call your mom, they call the cops...just a side note! Anyway, back to my son. This other mother was all over her son and the only reason he began to cry was because she decided it was to rough of a place to be and was taking him home. I made my son apologize and of course laughed, I have no idea how he jumped that far and stuck the landing, he's my son, therefore not coordinated in the slightest. This other mother and her friends were mortified of me, giving me looks like I was selling crack to their toddlers. This is another one of my issues, obviously these woman keep their kids in a bubble and they have never had to deal with things like chocolate syrup covered toddlers or a flooded living room, because their kids thought the hose was a good idea to bring in the house and wash the carpets. 

Moral of the story and todays lesson, give your kids some space. I mean we basically grew up playing in play grounds made of shards of glass and chewed on tin cans, and look at us, we survived. I'm pretty sure one bump and a face plant into a cushion mat doesn't warrant a call to your pediatrician and a psychological review for post traumatic stress disorder. If you are this mommy, back off and applaud my kid next time, those were some sweet Spiderman moves!!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, you made some good points. I can't stand those helicopter parents who are horrified at the slightest little bump a child may get. I wish things were still like they were when we were children. I blame the scare tactics of the media and our society's willingness to shovel the shit they feed us into our brains as if we were Paul in the morning(had the frontal lobotomy thing going on). Secondly, you really need to let me edit these blogs. Seriously? Your son through a fit, or he threw a fit? And finally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with cocktails at 7:45am. If you're up that early, you deserve one! ......You know you love me ;)

    ReplyDelete